Sunday, August 15, 2010

First Day of Work

Impeccable white shirt, ironed grey trousers, shiny black belt, neatly combed hair, polished black shoes,clean shaven face-I'm all set for the first day of work. T-shirts with messages, low waist faded jeans, unkempt hair will soon become a distant memory. As I stand on the threshold of City Group's site office, waiting to meet the HR manager, my mind journey backs to my college days. The funky Fastrack watch on my wrist seems like a keepsake from my those carefree days. I remember the time when its hands made me run behind schedule. And today, here i'm, ready to enter the corporate world. A great advantage of getting recruited through campus placement is that you dont have to go through the "starting mein toh struggle karna padta hai" phase. Even before you get the degree certificate , you'd have already pocketed a month salary. With a campus placement, i've stridden across the puddle, the muck, (i mean the the very popular starting-mein-toh-struggle-karna-padta-hai stage )leaped on to the drier ground which is comfortable to walk on.

Waiting for my turn to meet the HR manager, I do not have much to do except glance around the room, talk to my colleagues (who're as edgy as i am), and pester the receptionist with the question "How much more time would it take?". This queston elicit the curiosity within each one of us. I'm the first one to go in to meet the manager. She looks at me, smiles at me, i greet her, she greets me back, i pull out the chair and rest my derriere on that very comfortable seat (no wonder why people spend so much time in the office). She asks me about my family background, my priorities in life, the kind of job I would be intrested in,where do I see myself in the next 5 years and the offer letter lands on my palm. I'm done. I'm in. Is it the time to discard the low waist jeans? Hell, no!I love those jeans...

6 comments:

  1. dont have much to say.. just a widee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome....dunno wat to say..!!! u ve expressed it so wel dat u can bcum next Chetan Bhagat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My beloved Brother,

    At the outset, let me assure you that 'you are born to lead' and Siddhant no one, not even thee can stop you from becoming a 'fine MAN'. I believe in you.. Amen!!

    Now the comments part..aaha… how I love picking on your mistakes (like all ender siblings do)… so here it is:

    Very well written indeed!! But let the past always be reminiscent of the fact that life 'moves on'. It is one stream of hope that is ordained to travel miles before it culminates in the sea of destiny – the final destination. So yes, yes and yes secure your belongings from the yester years as a souvenir to remind you of your most cherished moments that GOD has been kind enough, to bestow upon you.

    Your penned down thoughts remind me of the days when I ‘freshly’ qualified to enter the ‘not-so-fresh’ industry. The industry of labour, returns, desire, 'new' and more 'targeted' dreams, perceptions, hurdles, attitude and above all amazing possibilities. The basic definition of fun, food and love will change for you over a period of time, of course for good. As they say - strive for excellence and success will follow. So make the best choices and be responsible for your choices.

    One last ‘gyan’ before I sign off… Always love your work and then the company. Balance your life, reach office in time and try to leave on time because ‘humans’ have only 24 hrs in a day and there are other progressive things that you should be doing as well, apart from work.

    Love your country, parents and teachers [and some other whom you choose to love ;)]

    All the best.

    Vedant

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sooo great !!!! I totally loved it and can completely relate to it .. We're growing up too soon :( .. Keep em coming budding writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out my brother's post...the talent runs in the family i suppose...:)and thank you all!!!

    ReplyDelete